The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Barton vs. MGW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
You don't 'need' the lock nut, you can use Locktite with the MGW knob as is the case with the stock knob. IMHO, I like the fact that the MGW knob with the lock nut can be removed without the need for a strap wrench, and for me I really don't notice the lock nut much. Since I only use my Boss as a track car, I usually vote for function over form, but that's just a personal choice.

So if you use the stock shift knob there's no need for the nut and washer?

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
The Jam nut is only for the MGW shift ball, it won't work with the stock shift ball becuase it uses a different thread on the shift handle. The MGW unit is beefier. For stock you use Locktite, for the MGW you can use Locktite or use the jam nut.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I dont use loctite. there is a nut on the underside that you adjust to get the knob in the correct postion. then put it back together and he-man the knob a little to get it where you want and its good to go.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
No no no, stay on the fence and don't buy the MGW. Buy a Hurst with the classic T handle. Be different!

MGW

Supporting Vendor
jeepinocala said:
Said I would give my opinion of the mgw so far I have only looked it over as for the quality it is very good for the price they are not making much if any money on these. Starting with the main body, I am not a fan of galvanized hardware they use galvinized nuts and studs the washers are SS thats good and really there is no reason to worrie about the galvanized nuts and studs I am just not a fan but I am sure this is all cost effective the body is machined very well not alot of machining marks just the faces and that is pretty normal in production of parts like this so I would say so far pretty damn good, now lets go on to the shift knob, I ordered one of their black with white writting this is very nice and the upgraded lock nut a must have the shifter and shaft setup is great quality for sure. The shifter boot seems as good as could be no thoughts there and no worries it is fine. The rear support bracket is very well made I am not keen on the rubber as for bushings in it but I am sure it will not have much give at all should be fine maybe just grease it after a few years. The upper shift body looks just fine very well made, my only not cared for part of it is again a few galvanized studs and a few steel set screws no real big deal at all looking at the big picture they are giving an excellent deal that I really doubt anyone will try and compete with there just can not be much money made off this product if they go to all SS hardware completely and going to something like peek for the rear support bracket bushings ontop of pinning the main body for alignment I can see a shifter of this quality going in the 700 dollar range easy. Over all I am very glad I bought it and look forward to the install crossing my fingers for this Friday. All I can say is buy one while you can for this price.

THANKS FOR THE HONEST REVIEW. one note ...the hardware on our shifters are NOT galvanized. they are actually a new coating called ARMOR COAT that is a VERY high durability military spec coating that is VERY VERY tough. the problem with stainless is that you will never get stainless as hard and strong at grabe 8 bolts. so this coating gives our fasteners the strength and corrosion resistence that you need.

george

also just to clarify what you guys probably already have concluded. there is ZERO difference in shifter or tranny from the boss302 or the standard gt .

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Great to have you on the forum George, I'm looking forward to installing the MGW on my Boss the day I take it home. Some of the folks who have recently installed have reported that the current installation videos are now slightly out dated since you have made improvements to the current version of this model.

Any chance MGW will produce a video that reflects the current changes as part of the full installation procedure?

It's not clear if the recent installers are reporting something new that is not included in the Nov 11, 2011 Installation Revision video here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=No-rR2Gv-2U&feature=player_embedded

Thank you for the clairification on the nuts and studs great to hear they are grade 8. The rest of the shifter is very nice and I can confirm you do not make hardly make a dime huh? You dont have to answer this question just take it as a compliment. Great product I am glad I bought it.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
MGW said:
jeepinocala said:
Said I would give my opinion of the mgw so far I have only looked it over as for the quality it is very good for the price they are not making much if any money on these. Starting with the main body, I am not a fan of galvanized hardware they use galvinized nuts and studs the washers are SS thats good and really there is no reason to worrie about the galvanized nuts and studs I am just not a fan but I am sure this is all cost effective the body is machined very well not alot of machining marks just the faces and that is pretty normal in production of parts like this so I would say so far pretty damn good, now lets go on to the shift knob, I ordered one of their black with white writting this is very nice and the upgraded lock nut a must have the shifter and shaft setup is great quality for sure. The shifter boot seems as good as could be no thoughts there and no worries it is fine. The rear support bracket is very well made I am not keen on the rubber as for bushings in it but I am sure it will not have much give at all should be fine maybe just grease it after a few years. The upper shift body looks just fine very well made, my only not cared for part of it is again a few galvanized studs and a few steel set screws no real big deal at all looking at the big picture they are giving an excellent deal that I really doubt anyone will try and compete with there just can not be much money made off this product if they go to all SS hardware completely and going to something like peek for the rear support bracket bushings ontop of pinning the main body for alignment I can see a shifter of this quality going in the 700 dollar range easy. Over all I am very glad I bought it and look forward to the install crossing my fingers for this Friday. All I can say is buy one while you can for this price.

THANKS FOR THE HONEST REVIEW. one note ...the hardware on our shifters are NOT galvanized. they are actually a new coating called ARMOR COAT that is a VERY high durability military spec coating that is VERY VERY tough. the problem with stainless is that you will never get stainless as hard and strong at grabe 8 bolts. so this coating gives our fasteners the strength and corrosion resistence that you need.

george

also just to clarify what you guys probably already have concluded. there is ZERO difference in shifter or tranny from the boss302 or the standard gt .
George,
Welcome aboard BMO! I am pleased you have taken the time to join us. You can now finally hear for yourself all the good things that are being said about your company's products on this forum. Maybe you will get some insight from the members here on developing new products or improving existing ones.

I eargerly await delivery of both my recently ordered MGW shifter and delivery of my new Boss toward the end of next week. I am even entertaining the idea of dropping in on you guys/gals in Augusta on my way back from Florida. Maybe I can get the grand tour of MGW ltd with my new vehicle in tow. I'd like to see for myself what is it about your company that makes it stand head and shoulders above the competition.

Best wishes and I look forward to you dropping in and saying hi to the gang from time to time!
Welcome aboard.

MMD

George from MGW, Please update your install vidoes...I plan on purchasing one of your high quality shifters for my '12 Boss.but I am not a "gearhead" so the less confusion I have to deal with between older & newer install info the better.Thanx in advance for your high quality product! Also. Thanx for signing on to our forum!

I installed an MGW shifter in a buddys GT last weekend and used the YouTube videos. There are only a couple of changes and the very last video is about the changes so really the videos are up to date. They were very helpful.

It took about 2.5 hours but we weren't in a big hurry and we are both pretty picky. He had his Ipad so we could referance the video anytime we needed to. No, we used jake stands in the back and real small home made ramps in the front. I thought it really worked well having someone in the car and the other under the car.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Just ordered a Steeda Tri-Ax today after driving with one in a friend's car this weekend, and knowing that he runs his car at least as hard as mine on the road course. $249 shipped. Let the games begin...

MGW

Supporting Vendor
MakeMyDay said:
George,
Welcome aboard BMO! I am pleased you have taken the time to join us. You can now finally hear for yourself all the good things that are being said about your company's products on this forum. Maybe you will get some insight from the members here on developing new products or improving existing ones.

I eargerly await delivery of both my recently ordered MGW shifter and delivery of my new Boss toward the end of next week. I am even entertaining the idea of dropping in on you guys/gals in Augusta on my way back from Florida. Maybe I can get the grand tour of MGW ltd with my new vehicle in tow. I'd like to see for myself what is it about your company that makes it stand head and shoulders above the competition.

Best wishes and I look forward to you dropping in and saying hi to the gang from time to time!
Welcome aboard.

MMD

thanks man and i would MORE than welcome you and anybody here to come by and visit and if you need your shifter installed by me personally i charge ZERO for this service!!!

regards
george

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel