The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Barton vs. MGW?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emailed them today---

WE ARE STARTING SHIPPING TODAY SO IT WILL EITHER GO TODAY OR MONDAY JUST DEPENDS ON HOW FAR WE GET.

JULIE

Crossing my fingers it ships today

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
jeepinocala said:
Emailed them today---

WE ARE STARTING SHIPPING TODAY SO IT WILL EITHER GO TODAY OR MONDAY JUST DEPENDS ON HOW FAR WE GET.

JULIE

Crossing my fingers it ships today
they hit my bank account for the money and Juilie said I was at the front of the shipping list so I think it shipped. :) :) :) :)

You wont believe this ;D
This message was sent to you at the request of MGW LTD to notify you that the electronic shipment information below has been transmitted to UPS. The physical package(s) may or may not have actually been tendered to UPS for shipment. To verify the actual transit status of your shipment, click on the tracking link below or contact MGW LTD directly.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
jeepinocala said:
You wont believe this ;D
This message was sent to you at the request of MGW LTD to notify you that the electronic shipment information below has been transmitted to UPS. The physical package(s) may or may not have actually been tendered to UPS for shipment. To verify the actual transit status of your shipment, click on the tracking link below or contact MGW LTD directly.
I just got the same thing :) estimated arrival is may 1st. I guess they dont next day air them anymore like I read elsewere.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I want my cut from the Psychic hotline. I told all you guys last week that as soon as I placed my order, the flood gates will open. Need I say more? ??? ;D

5 DOT 0 said:
302BOB said:
WHOA, I'm sure Gary will let us know what's what as soon as he installs his new toy, hopefully by the end of this week, if he gets it. I'm sure he is just as anxious to try it out as we are to hear his reviews.
Maybe he's holding out on us? ;)
I've held off posting to get some seat time with it, or is that stick time Wayne? :D (I only wish I could fly jets) I'm probably not the best person to review this since I'm really not having any issues with the stock shifter and transmission. I bought it "preemptively" before this track season since I've heard so many people were having issues.

The MGW is well made and has a good feel, but to be honest it moves the transmission between the gears pretty much like the stock one did for me. The gates might be slightly closer and the throw slightly shorter, but after a few days I don't really notice much difference. The one difference is the return spring is stronger. That may be what people are liking about the ability to easily move from 2nd to 3rd. It does push it into that gate better than the stock one. I'm sure there's a little less "slop" since there are no rubber bushings like in the stock unit. As far as it goes, I don't have any complaints about it either.

It's on the trailer now so I won't get any more seat time until the track this weekend. I'll update if I notice any difference on the track.

drano38

Wayne
cloud9 said:
I've held off posting to get some seat time with it, or is that stick time Wayne? :D (I only wish I could fly jets)

Yep, strap on a jet, and get some stick time. I've got over 2,000 hours of stick time. :)
With your new seat & harness, you understand what it feels like to strap into a high performance machine.
Can't wait for the Push (green flag) Saturday morning. Doesn't look like we'll get Rolex'd for rain.

Sorry, back to topic.

cloud9 said:
It's on the trailer now so I won't get any more seat time until the track this weekend. I'll update if I notice any difference on the track.
In for your on-track review of the shifter.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
At least we know the rear bracket bushing won't look like the stock one someone posted a while back (mangled).

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
5 DOT 0 said:
ace72ace said:
At least we know the rear bracket bushing won't look like the stock one someone posted a while back (mangled).
You mean this one? It's not mangled it's just soft rubber to meet NHV requirements.

What's NHV stand for - NOT HIGHLY VALUED ? ;D

Gary's take on the MGW shifter was pretty much neutral (as in take it or leave it)...I was hoping for a more positive feedback..will be waiting for his opinion after his track session. Still waiting to hear from Jeepinocala's feel for this shifter when he installs it. I was under the impression there was a night & day difference between the stock & MGW shifter.....any other opinions..reviews...........

302BOB said:
Gary's take on the MGW shifter was pretty much neutral (as in take it or leave it)...I was hoping for a more positive feedback..will be waiting for his opinion after his track session. Still waiting to hear from Jeepinocala's feel for this shifter when he installs it. I was under the impression there was a night & day difference between the stock & MGW shifter.....any other opinions..reviews...........

Like Gary said he was not having any issues with the stock unit. I do not want to debate operator error because I would lose that one, so if you take out the fact that Gary with tons more track time is a better driver it also appears he got a good unit. I personally had several shifting issues, some may have been operator error but others I am sure were not. I found the MGW a "night and day" difference for me and would not want to drive again without it.

2012YellowBoss said:
Like Gary said he was not having any issues with the stock unit. I do not want to debate operator error because I would lose that one, so if you take out the fact that Gary with tons more track time is a better driver it also appears he got a good unit. I personally had several shifting issues, some may have been operator error but others I am sure were not. I found the MGW a "night and day" difference for me and would not want to drive again without it.
Did it fix all of your shifting problems? I ask this because I think most of the shifting issues are related to the clutch and some members think this is the solution to their shifting problems.

I'm not saying the MGW isn't a better shifter and I'm still thinking about buying one. I did miss a few shifts this past weekend at the track and I think most of that was driver error. Driving around town and shifting quickly at redline mine shifts like butter and I've never missed a shift on the street. I have Redline MTL in the tranny and a Steeda shifter bracket. The bracket didn't help the shifting, mainly because I don't have any issues, but it take some of the slop out of the shifter and it now feels more precise.

I wouldn't put too much stock in my review. The shifter has never been that important to me. I generally just go with whatever's in the car. Brakes, wheels, tires, suspension all matter to me a lot more and are more noticable than the shifter. A friend of mine with a GT and a track rat thought my MGW was really smooth while I could hardly tell the difference.

It is not a fix all, mainly the 5Th gear lock-out is still there but better. 3-4 5-4 is way better then the stock unit for me. Most of us have seen the way the instructors can drive the Boss around the track at Miller with the stock shifter. Having said that I saw one (champion winning) driver put one of the cars into reverse instead of first after backing out of the garage. I did that many times with the stock shifter but never with the new unit.

What I can say is it makes the shifting way more precise, it is very hard to miss a shift anymore. The shorter throw also makes shifting faster and with less effort.

2012YellowBoss said:
It is not a fix all, mainly the 5Th gear lock-out is still there but better. 3-4 5-4 is way better then the stock unit for me. Most of us have seen the way the instructors can drive the Boss around the track at Miller with the stock shifter. Having said that I saw one (champion winning) driver put one of the cars into reverse instead of first after backing out of the garage. I did that many times with the stock shifter but never with the new unit.

What I can say is it makes the shifting way more precise, it is very hard to miss a shift anymore. The shorter throw also makes shifting faster and with less effort.
Sounds good. Did you install it yourself? I'm probably going to order one soon.

Maui
5 DOT 0 said:
2012YellowBoss said:

Sounds good. Did you install it yourself? I'm probably going to order one soon.

Do it Rick! I was going to wait as well, but I figured since there's a long wait time, I might as well put my order in. They don't charge your card until it ships...

Mine came in yesterday will try and have it on this weekend not sure yet but will give a review I havent even had time to go through the box yet ;D working a lot of hours.. how do you post pictures on here?

TMO Supporting Vendors