The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Washing and Waxing the Boss?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

killerwill13 said:
TheMarco said:
Somewhat related question:

Do ALL good car detailing products have to be ordered online? I noticed you can't seem to buy stuff like Zaino or Klasse in the regular automotive stores...

Yeah thats the case most of the time. I had to even order my grit guards online, not many stores carry a selection of QUALITY automotive detailing products.

Wow... makes me wonder how people got by 10 years ago... ???

TheMarco said:
killerwill13 said:
TheMarco said:
Somewhat related question:

Do ALL good car detailing products have to be ordered online? I noticed you can't seem to buy stuff like Zaino or Klasse in the regular automotive stores...

Yeah thats the case most of the time. I had to even order my grit guards online, not many stores carry a selection of QUALITY automotive detailing products.

Wow... makes me wonder how people got by 10 years ago... ???
Its hard to believe that we had to use magazines and catalogs that long ago to just order simple products. I just got one in the mail yesterday and I was a little shocked by how little its selection was to what Im used to online.

Once products like Zaino and Klasse reach a demand saturation point and the high profits are no longer made due to their "exclusivity", they usually go into the general retail market, disappear or are supplanted by other brands.
Much, but not all, of it is in the advertising and promotional efforts.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Just got my Adams order in, wow these pads are nice. Look like they will hold up for many many uses. One question tho, the different color pads look and feel all the same, apart from the color. Anyone know for sure if they are simply color coded to help aid you keeping track of which Adams product you apply to each. Yeah the polishes are color coded to match the pads, <guiness ad voice> BRILLIANT!. They all appear to be made from the same machine, no different in the foam density or pattern on the working surface.

Also got a bottle of Adams All Purpose Cleaner. It warns of being a 'full strength product' I am definitely picking up 2 more spray bottles for this stuff. One 10/90 product/water solution, and one 33/66. I can't see using this stuff full strength. I haven't detailed under the hood on my Merc, so that will be a good test for the 1/3rd solution bottle. It's just 'dusty dirty' not really oily/nasty/neglected, so we'll see.

BossFred said:
askjeffro said:
For my '13 owner friends, I got part of the car done with Klasse AIO. No Negative effect on stripes that I perceive. No Sealant yet.
What are you going to top the AIO with ?
Thanks

My intent is to do the whole car with Klasse sealant on top of the AIO. I may do 2 coats of this depending on my mood and energy. Finally, I bought some P21S 100% to top it off with as an experiment.

So:
1: Wash
2: Clay
3: Klasse AIO
4. Klasse Sealant
5: P21S Wax - Likely paint only

I have not tested the sealant on the stripes yet, but I really doubt it will be an issue. I'm more leery of trying the wax on the stripes.

ace72ace said:
Just got my Adams order in, wow these pads are nice. Look like they will hold up for many many uses. One question tho, the different color pads look and feel all the same, apart from the color. Anyone know for sure if they are simply color coded to help aid you keeping track of which Adams product you apply to each. Yeah the polishes are color coded to match the pads, <guiness ad voice> BRILLIANT!. They all appear to be made from the same machine, no different in the foam density or pattern on the working surface.

Also got a bottle of Adams All Purpose Cleaner. It warns of being a 'full strength product' I am definitely picking up 2 more spray bottles for this stuff. One 10/90 product/water solution, and one 33/66. I can't see using this stuff full strength. I haven't detailed under the hood on my Merc, so that will be a good test for the 1/3rd solution bottle. It's just 'dusty dirty' not really oily/nasty/neglected, so we'll see.
Usually applicator pads aren't color coded unless it mentions it in a guidebook or in the instructions for the product itself. I would just pick the colors your going to remember the best to use to each product.

TheMarco said:
askjeffro said:
For my '13 owner friends, I got part of the car done with Klasse AIO. No Negative effect on stripes that I perceive. No Sealant yet.

Klasse AIO is also a lot less time consuming than Zaino isn't it?

Possibly. I used Zaino many years ago and they have evolved the number of products they have by quite a bit.
For me, regardless of what product I use to wax or seal the paint with, I find the prep work is where the majority of effort is. Doing a quality wash and clay prep is critical to creating a brilliant shine.

I suspect that if the application times I read about with Zaino are true, a lot of the result is more a function of the effort put into it then the product itself. I'm not knocking the product, I know its good. Simply suggesting that the results of Zaino are just as much a function of the effort put into doing it as it is quality product. I expect if you spent similar time with other products you would get similar results in terms of finish. Where a sealant like Zaino (or Klasse etc.) really "shine" is in long term durability compared to a regular wax in my experience.

askjeffro said:
BossFred said:
askjeffro said:
Thanks
My intent is to do the whole car with Klasse sealant on top of the AIO. I may do 2 coats of this depending on my mood and energy. Finally, I bought some P21S 100% to top it off with as an experiment.

So:
4. Klasse Sealant

I have not tested the sealant on the stripes yet, but I really doubt it will be an issue. I'm more leery of trying the wax on the stripes.
Sounds like a solid plan. I just finally decided on Wolfgang to use when I get my Boss. And I'm going to follow the same system you just laid out.

I just had the opportunity to touch and see the stripes in person. Im not worried as much as before about products on them. But, I'd still test and apply only a light amount. I'm still under the belief that too much of any product on them could just gunk up and cause a discoloration.

killerwill13 said:
askjeffro said:
BossFred said:
askjeffro said:
Thanks

So:
4. Klasse Sealant

Sounds like a solid plan. I just finally decided on Wolfgang to use when I get my Boss. And I'm going to follow the same system you just laid out.

I just had the opportunity to touch and see the stripes in person. Im not worried as much as before about products on them. But, I'd still test and apply only a light amount. I'm still under the belief that too much of any product on them could just gunk up and cause a discoloration.

I suggest you test the products on the low stripe on the rear quarter panel. This way if you have an issue it won't be as noticed as its discrete from the other graphics and is angled differently then the rest so lights behaved differently there anyway. I used a flashlight to test the reflectivity of the stripe before and after application, while also doing half and half at first to see differences.

Most likely you will not have an issue. Have fun.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
The adams pads I know that the black pad is softer than then green/orange/white pads. I have the gen 3 pads though so I can say for sure about the gen 4 pads you have.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Hey you are right, doing the squeeze test on the black pad through the plastic, I can tell it's less dense than the others. I'm betting this is the final buff pad.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
ace72ace said:
Hey you are right, doing the squeeze test on the black pad through the plastic, I can tell it's less dense than the others. I'm betting this is the final buff pad.
the black pad is for there machine wax. I would use it to remove the product by putting a double soft towels under it wrap it slightly on the handle but dont cover the exhaust. they have a video on there web site somewhere as to what I am talking about. I guess you could use it to apply the Z-AIO

BossFred said:
I applied Wolfgangs sealant over stripes today and had no ill effects. I will apply a second coat tomorrow.
Thanks
Thats good to hear. I have read a lot of good stuff anout Wolfgang so I just ordered the Fuzion estate wax and Im hoping it will really make my paint just pop.

ace72ace said:
Seeing is believing...

Well, if I say something you can believe it. I have better things to do than post weird car detailing lies on the internet. Anyway, we finally had some sun today, here is a shot of the main hood stripe with Klasse AIO and 2 layers of SG, reflecting proud and true:
DSC_0102.JPG

This is with a D90, so a fairly good camera. But you can see it even had a hard time with the colors of the car with that much reflection going on. (Note the darker orange on the hood etc.)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel